Microwave Almond Milk Peda (Fudge)
While I was making this, a couple of friends stopped by (well...it's my birthday). With no time to cool and roll it out into pedas, I had to serve it to them as semi-solid halwa, but they liked the taste of it. After they left, I put it in the refrigerator, cooled it for a few hours and then shaped into pedas. This is so easy to prepare, and later became one of my personal favorites!


Ingredients:

almond powder - 1/2 cup
milk-mava powder - 1/2 cup
ricotta cheese - 15 oz
sugar - 3/4 cup
butter / ghee - 1 tbsp
milk - 1 tsp
sliced almonds - a few
saffron strands - a few

Method:

Soak saffron strands in a teaspoon of milk and keep aside. Mix almond powder, milk mava powder and cheese in a bowl.  Microwave for 3 minutes. Add sugar, mix well and microwave for another 3 minutes. Add ghee, stir a couple of times and heat for another 3 minutes. Add the saffron, stir a few times and return to the microwave for another 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave and mix in the sliced almonds. Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. Take a lemon-sized portion, roll it between the palms and flatten out into a round patty. Repeat for the remaining fudge. 

Notes:
1. To make just milk peda, almond powder can be substituted with more milk mava powder.
2. If ricotta cheese is not available, unsweetened khoa can be used instead.
9 Responses
  1. aipi Says:

    That sounds delicious..nice recipe!

    US Masala


  2. Akila Says:

    looks yummy yummy....


  3. Sarah Naveen Says:

    so perfect and yummy!!!


  4. yvee Says:

    So where do you find this almond powder? I'm starting to think Jasper is foodie central!


  5. Sowmya Says:

    Hey Y,

    Nice to see your comments :) I found almond powder in the Indian store. Not sure if it is available in all general grocery stores, though I've heard that they sell it at Trader Joe's, where it is referred to as ground almonds or almond flour or almond meal. If it is not readily available, I would probably just take a handful of raw, peeled almonds and run them through my coffee-grinder! (Not tried that though ;)

    Cheers,
    Sowmya.


  6. Raks Says:

    Has come out good,nice recipe! Nice entry for the event too!


  7. Foodie Ann Says:

    I am in for any type of pedas....:) Its my weekness...Almond peda looks good..:)


  8. Hi Sowmya
    Found your blog through PAB. Always happy to run into fellow vegetarian bloggers. You have a treasure trove of recipes I grew up with but don't cook them that much.So this is a wonderful source of traditional recipes for me.
    Sandhya.


  9. delicious I make very similar with cottage cheese as well
    looks wonderful thank you for linking


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • Memberships
    Vegetarian Cultural Creatives

    Promote Your Page Too
    All recipes are on Petitchef
    Half Hour Meals